Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tim Horton's almost lost my kid!

Okaaaaay, they didn't almost lose my kid. Here is the story.
Riley was chosen to go to The Tim Horton Children's Foundation camp in Kentucky.
Girlfriend was chosen because she is the most awesome kid ever. Today is her birthday, by the way.

So the kids get to the airport at 8:30 AM on the 20th to leave for camp. Their flight gets delayed. . .
and delayed. . .
and delayed. . .
and delayed. . .
So they charter a bus. Arrive at camp at 1:30 AM.

The 21st = have fun.
The 22nd = have fun.
The 23rd = have fun.
The 24th = have fun.
The 25th = have fun.
The 26th = have fun.
The 27th = come down with a raging fever, have to move into the Wellness Center for the duration of camp, but it's fun. They have cable and the girls got to wear sassy surgical masks if they went outside.
The 28th = Camp calls Mom and Dad, "We're sorry, but your daughter will not be flying home with the rest of the campers. Due to her fever, the CDC regulations will not allow air travel (because anyone with a fever has swine flu). We'll let you know when she will be coming home."
The 29th = Camp calls, "Riley will be flying in at 10 AM tomorrow."

Wait, there is no flight arriving at 10 AM from anywhere. Oh, must be that flight from Detroit arriving at 9:41. Kind of funny, all of the other parents are there (which is quite amazing. more on that later). Weren't the rest of the kids supposed to arrive yesterday? Plane lands, no Riley. "Yes, camp people, I understand. You accidentally called me because my kid was originally scheduled to fly home with the others (who had a cancelled flight due to weather, hence the morning airport scene). So, where is my kid? Oh, she's flying in at 11:15? Thanks for letting me know!"

Apparently they called me, did not get hold of me, and didn't try again. My cell phone was good enough to tell me she went to see the nurse, but not good enough to use to let me know of the travel arrangements.

Anyway, the Tim Horton's camps are amazing. This company sends these kids to camp for 10 days at no cost to the families. There may have been some travel mix-ups, but Riley was safe and sound the whole time. She says she'd go back in a heartbeat!

4 comments:

Kitten said...

That completely sounds like something that would happen to my kids. I'm glad she had fun and made it back ok!

Anonymous said...

You have 5 kids get some birth control fast like now.4billion people and this planet 5 kids.This isn't the old days where kids died and need to work on the Farm.People talk our health care going down the tubes.No way anybody should have 5 kids.This hurts us all.You going to war or something.

Lori Lynn said...

To anonymous: get a life!

MomVader said...

Dear Anonymous,
You may not truly understand how birth control works. It only stops you from having new ones. It wouldn't do a darn thing about the 5 I already have.
Not sure my 5 have made a huge difference in the 4 Billion. World over-population is just a myth. There are plenty of open spaces to habitate. Not everyone needs to cram themselves into China or India.
You stated, "This isn't the old days where kids died and need to work on the Farm." Actually, I can't imagine a dead kid working on a farm, or as you put it, Farm (why caps?). Maybe if my kids die, I'll send them to work on a Farm just so I can prove you wrong.
Please, please tell me how much it hurts you that I have 5 kids? Seriously, I'd like to know.